social media and not-for-profits
Social Media is a two-way street that gives you the ability to communicate using online technologies and practices that people use to share opinions, insights, experiences, and perspectives with each other, organizations and businesses.
Terminology, acronyms and buzzwords are thrown around all over the internet. It is increasingly difficult to wade through the sea of information in the area of Social Media. It is a sector that has seen more growth than any other method of communication both on and off the internet.
The use of Social Media tools and strategies in the Not-for-profit sector is growing considerably. We want to help inform organizations with resources and tools to guide them on using social media effectively.
Introduction to Social Media
- Social Media in Plain English
- A simple introduction video for concepts of how social media works
- Social Media Revolution based on the book “Socialnomics” by Erik Qualman
- A presentation video outlining statistic and details surrounding social media which tries to answer the question "Is social media a fad?"
- The Nonprofit Social Media Decision Guide
- A comprehensive report on social media for nonprofit organizations to help them make decisions about their social media goals and ways to achieve them.
Explaning Social Media Tools
- Social Networking in Plain English
- An easy to understand video outlining how social networking works
- Twitter in plain english
- An easy to understand video outlining how the social micro blogging platform twitter works
- Blogs in plain english
- An easy to understand video outlining how blogs work
- Facebook Pages vs Groups
- Facebook allows organizations to create a presence for themselves using either "Pages" or "Groups". It's important to know which one to use to fit your organizations goals.
Common Social Media/Networking Tools
- social networking website with over 500 million active members
- Micro blogging and communication platform accessible on almost every platform and mobile device
- the worlds largest video sharing and distribution service owned by Google
- Photo sharing and distribution service owned by Yahoo
- business social networking website
- social news website where users submit news stories and they are voted up or down by the community